Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Bonjour du Dijon!


Bonjour mes amis! I arrived in Dijon on Sunday evening around 6pm after a hectic day of traveling! I reached Paris, Charles De Gaulle airport at 6:30am local time and was very excited that I managed to arrive at the university all by myself, while barely knowing French. It was rather exhausting carrying all of myluggage and belongings. But I was rather surprised at the ease of getting my way around from the bus station to the train. In the evening I was absolutely exhausted especially when I realized that I hadn't eaten or drank anything in 12 hours!
Monday was our first day of orientation where we took a placement exam, and I placed into a beginner French, with a few people from Ohio State and while it's pretty overwhelming because the professor will only speak in French, I am beginning to speak more with my fellow students. They are very helpful and more than willing to teach me. I will take mostly French classes here. but I am also taking culture courses, such as food & wine, and art history.
My residence hall is managable...I have my own room, with a sink, bed, and dresser. The bathrooms are coed; the showers were interesting the first day because you have to continually press this button to get water, but I think I will get my routine down where it becomes more efficient! We move to a "nicer" residence hall in August which is also closer to our classrooms.
Tonight, a few of us went exploring around Dijon, and I convinced everyone to try the Escargot Pizza; so we tried that with the 5 Fromages. The escargot was very good!
This weekend we will be traveling to Paris for four days, so I will keep this updated with more pictures and stories soon! Au Revoir!

No comments: